Thursday, March 14, 2013

Installing the Analysis Services Deployment Utility

The Analysis Services Deployment Utility is a utility that can be used to deploy Analysis Services build outputs (.asdatabase files) to a server, or to generate the XMLA for offline deployment.

I've often used this as part of an automated installation process to push releases out into an integration environment, but on this project I wanted to perform this installation as part of a nightly build. It failed - because the utility (and it's dependencies) weren't installed on the build server.

I wasn't entirely sure what I needed to get it installed (and I was attempting to install the minimum amount of stuff). It turns out this tool is distributed as part of Sql Management Studio, not the SSDT/BIDS projects (as I'd previously assumed). Not sure if the Basic or Complete option is required, because I picked 'complete' and that fixed it.

Also, for 2012 the path has changed, and the utility is now at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Deployment.exe

No comments:

Popular Posts